09 April 2012

MIDIpal

This wasn't supposed to be my next project, but I am still waiting on parts for the audio effects units.

I have intended to get a MIDIpal for a while now, but was put off by the surface-mount soldering involved. I finally bit the bullet and ordered one and built it over the last few evenings.

The MIDIpal is a tiny MIDI processor, which can serve as an arpeggiator, a simple step sequencer and delay, among other functions. It is Open Source hardware and available as a kit from Mutable Instruments.

This was my first experience of surface-mount soldering and it actually turned out easier than expected, though I applied too much solder to the ATMega328p MCU, resulting in a short between VCC and ground. Solder wick fixed the short, but left rather a lot of burnt flux behind. As for the resistors, LEDs, diodes and capacitors - soldering was actually quicker than with through-hole parts.

The completed MIDIpal in it's transparent case. Despite the mess around the MCU, it works!


Uploading the firmware using a USBtiny ISP.



I'll post a video once I have had a chance to play with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment